Your verification ID is: guDlT7MCuIOFFHSbB3jPFN5QLaQ Big Computing: Bryan Lewis's Vignette on IRLBA for SVD in R

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Bryan Lewis's Vignette on IRLBA for SVD in R

The Implicitly Restarted Lanczos Bidiagonalization Algorithm (IRLBA) of Jim Baglama and Lothar Reichel is a state of the art method for computing a few singular vectors and corresponding singular values of huge matrices.

The IRLBA package is the R language implementation of the method. With it, you can compute partial SVDs and principal component analyses of very large scale data. The package works well with sparse matrices and with other matrix classes like those provided by the Bigmemory package.

In Video Vignette Link I have inserted below Bryan with a new microphone goes through an example using this package on the Netflix Prize data set (480K row by 18K columns). Competitions like the Netflix Prize and the Kaggle.com competitions have really brought powerful tools like SVD into greater use.

Video Vignette or IRLBA using the Netflix Prize data set.

21 comments:

  1. How much time it took to find eigenvector matrices & what k(rank) you used for the same ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is on one of the slides. On an old AMD Opteron Server it took about 120sec with nu=5 nv=5.

    Here is the documentation:
    www.rforge.net/src/contrib/Documentation/irlba.pdf

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed reading it. I require to study more on this topic. Thanks for sharing a nice info..Any way I'm going to subscribe for your feed and I hope you post again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to mention that I've truly enjoyed browsing your blog posts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, thanks for that link! Is the IRLBA still relevant? I stumbled across this while looking for information about algorithms in financial services analytics solutions. Any thoughts on how this could apply?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, it is still very much relevant. In fact I believe more people are using it now than when I first posted the link.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just wanted to say thank you for sharing a great information and useful. I've read a lot of blogs and visit but they made me feel boring. Your article made me feel strange and fascinating it attracted me. I wanted to share this information with my friends on the social network facebook.!
    G9 , Dora games , Kizi new , Huz 2 , Kizi 2 , Friv 4 School , 85 Play , 4223 Games , 85 Games

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the info. In case when you traveling, you might need a GPS for your car or boat and even knowing your own location.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello everybody. Thank so much and I like this. Juegos de Twizl , Friv 2019 , Kizi , Yoob

    ReplyDelete

  10. I wanted to thank you for this excellent read!! I definitely loved every little bit of it.Cheers for the info!!!! & This is the perfect blog for anyone who wants to know about this topic
    baixar facebook , baixar facebook gratis , facebook baixar

    ReplyDelete
  11. Easily, the article is actually the best topic on this registry related issue. I fit in with your conclusions and will eagerly look forward to your next updates. Just saying thanks will not just be sufficient, for the fantasti c lucidity in your writing. I will instantly grab your rss feed to stay informed of any updates.
    baixar whatsapp. baixar whatsapp gratis. whatsapp baixar

    ReplyDelete
  12. Please visit include. Thank so much.
    Kizi , Yoob , Y8 , Twizl

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very interesting blog. Alot of blogs I see these days don't really provide anything that I'm interested in, but I'm most definately interested in this one
    wings.io l wingsio l wings io l wingsio game l play wingsio

    ReplyDelete