Your verification ID is: guDlT7MCuIOFFHSbB3jPFN5QLaQ Big Computing: Friday Musing - Hot temperatures results in ejections in MLB, but what happens to the game?

Friday, July 22, 2011

Friday Musing - Hot temperatures results in ejections in MLB, but what happens to the game?

In a previous post I wrote about a research paper that found a relationship between hot temperatures and batters getting hit by pitches. Yesterday I came across an old article that finding that baseballs fly farther in hot temperatures ( about 2%). Finally this morning I saw a post that Managers are more likely to get ejected when the temperature rises. All this is very interesting to read when the East Coast is suffering from an oppressive heat wave. In fact I am trying to think of a way to get myself ejected to somewhere cooler than here right now. However, it got me to wonder if the games themselves where different from games played in less draining conditions.

So I looked at total runs scored in the American League East during the hottest month of the year which is July in 2011 compared to the rest of the year. Total runs scored in July was 9.7 versus 8.9 the rest of the year. This heat wave may be a factor. It absolutely a factor in why I have been watching the games on TV with the AC blasting instead of going to the ballpark.

No comments:

Post a Comment