Your verification ID is: guDlT7MCuIOFFHSbB3jPFN5QLaQ Big Computing: My Memories of 9/11 - Still Horrible after ten years

Monday, September 12, 2011

My Memories of 9/11 - Still Horrible after ten years

Every year I dread the anniversary of 9/11. There is not a day that I do not have a memory of that awful day. The anniversaries are even worse for me. All the anger, frustration and helplessness for failing to stop this evil thing from happening just overwhelms me.

The twin towers used to be a happy memory of my youth. I first became aware of them when WPIX Channel 11 in New York adopted them as there symbol in the 70s. For whatever reason I loved those commercials.


When I was in High School I got invited to a big New York Party at Windows on the World. The party was no so great, but I loved the Restaurant and the view! I had never been more than 12 stories above the ground in my life. Amazing!


I went to the towers whenever I was in the city. I loved the place. When I was in college my fraternity had a scavenger hunt that had us streak the top of the Tower. We got away uncaught by the Port Authority cops, and returned to Ithaca with a good story to tell.

After college and grad school I went to lower Manhattan less and less frequently. On September 10, 2001 I bought tickets to a show, and recalling pleasant memories of the towers in years past I made a final reservation at Windows on the World for Friday September 15, 2001. The next morning I watched the towers burn and fall at Eli's in Hamden with Miles Russell, a good friend. Some memories I wish I would forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment